Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Europe Trip- Just Roll With It

So I'm sitting here in our room in London alone hoping Reed will hear the telepathic messages I'm trying to send him telling him that I found our room and I haven't been kidnapped. I figured now would be a good time for a quick blogpost about the motto for our Europe trip: "Just Roll With It." I picked this motto a few months ago when I was agonizing over all the millions of things that could go wrong on this trip. I decided that with a trip this long and complicated, we are bound to run into a number of bumps along the way and I didn't want to let those bumps ruin what would otherwise be the vacation of a lifetime. So today when Reed hopped onto a train at the London-Gatwick airport and the doors closed IMMEDIATELY behind him before I could get on, I knew that my "Just Roll With It" motto would need to be implemented sooner than I had hoped.

You see, the Gatwick airport is actually 30 minutes via express train from the London city center and 2 hours via bus. Reed and I decided it was worth the extra money to take the train. So with luggage in tow we headed off to catch the nearest train. Unfortunately there were a number of train lines and we weren't entirely sure which one we were supposed to take. But as Reed read through the destination boards he said "Oh London, Victoria! That's where we need to go!" and he scurried off to the nearest train headed in that direction. Although the train was about to leave, Reed was lucky and fast enough to catch it. Unfortunately, I was not so lucky. And as Reed turned around on the train to talk to his cute little wife (that's me), he found himself instead staring at some smelly bearded man with his wife trapped outside the doors of the train. His eyes widened and jaw dropped once he saw me out there waving (ever so sadly) at him but the train was already on the move. So without a plan for how to meet, no cell phones, and without knowing where we were headed (Reed had all addresses and everything), I boarded the next train to "London, Victoria."

I thought surely Reed would wait at the train station for me but as I looked around my train I realized it looked much different than the metro style train Reed boarded. So I actually was none too surprised when I arrived at the train station and my husband was nowhere to be seen. I think he must have taken a regular metro while I took the express train, which would take much longer and who even knows if his train went to the same station as mine. I thought I would wait at the train station hoping he would find me but it was creepy, huge, and I hadn't used a bathroom since before our 10 hour flight...so I hoped for a miracle and hopped on my computer to see if I could piggyback on someone's free wifi to find the apartment address. Well by some miracle I was able to get wifi. So I got the apartment address and even a google map of the location. Then by some additional (and even more impressive) miracle, I actually was able to navigate the streets of London on my own to find our apartment. So there you have it. Reed and I have been separated for about 2.5 hours now and I'm just praying he checks his email somewhere or he thinks to come to the apartment. I'm actually not too worked up about it yet...I even laughed about it a bit on the train...but we will see if my "just roll with it" motto holds up if another hour passes...

4 comments:

  1. NO WAY!!!!!!!! SCARY!!!!! Just remember to take big deep breaths..... and Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! My brother from lil' Eagar is lost in London! Hopefully you two are back together by now! What a good motto to have, hope you won't need to use it TOO much though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, not to shabby for the first day of your dream vacation!! Reed will soon find out (hopefully he already knows and will turn up soon) that his wife is very capable and intelligent, and will find her way without him!! PLEASE let us know when he finds you!! Keep us posted on ALL your adventures, this will be so fun to read about each day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, you're kidding!! What a way to start off this vacation of a lifetime!! If anyone had to be left behind, it's a good thing it was you! At least you have some experience in Europe :)
    I hope you're having the best time!!

    ReplyDelete